Particular Opportunities at present include:
We are running an Alpha Course for 12 weeks, commencing 11th September (excluding half term) and with an away day at Sherwood Pines on November 10th. The sessions will be at the Church Hall and will involve food, a talk and discussion. They will begin at 7pm and end at 9:30pm, but help will be needed to set up, clear away and lead the discussion groups. The next meeting of the planning team will be on July 3rd, 8pm at the manse - please contact the minister if you'd like to be involved in any way.
There are many opportunities for you to join the team at SMC. If you would like to volunteer, please contact the minister and he will be happy to discuss the opportunities we have. We operate 'safe' recruitment and it may be necessary for volunteers (particularly those coming into contact with children and vulnerable adults) to take part in our 'Creating Safer Space' training and /or undergo a DBS (Disclosure Barring Service, criminal reference check) though this should not dissuade you from volunteering it is routine procedure as we aim to safeguard those who come into our care.
The best opportunities to get involved in the life of our church and particularly in helping us to follow God's Mission inside our church and community is to get involved in the many conversations that happen are Worship, Hospitality, Mission and Service, and Intentional Faith Development. These conversations are convened by the folk shown on our tree, below, and happen three or four times a year. They are open meetings and operate like 'think tanks' to discuss our work and new ideas - but beware, most of the folk who go to these meetings come away with something exciting to do in the life of the church - they're not just talking shops, they're how we aim to be fruitful together! If you'd like to be involved in any of these conversations feel free to talk to the folk listed or if you're not sure how to do that, speak to the minister and he can point you in the right direction!
Next Mission and Service Committee: Postponed until further notice
Next Intentional Faith Development Committee: TBC
Next Pastoral Committee: Thursday 13th September 2018, 7:30pm, Church Welcome Area
Next Full Church Council: Wednesday 19th September 2018, 7:30pm, Church Dowse Room
Next Radical Hospitality Committee: 27th September, 7:30pm, Salsbury House
Next Worship Committee: Wednesday 3rd October 2018, 7:30pm, Church Welcome Area
Next Resources Committee: Tuesday 15th January 2018, 7:30pm, Martin Cray’s House
To be involved in these conversations, please speak to the minister or the convenor.
If you would like information about being part of any of these activities, then please contact Rev Peter Hibberts - EMAIL
Where possible a '60 second read' of committee and leadership team meetings will be posted here. If you would like more information about activities in the life of the church, feel free to contact the Minister or the relevant convenor.
• Leadership team wished to continue the good work undertaken by the Families worker and will recommend this to Church Council
• A budget for the coming year was outlined in terms of the various areas the Church might wish to spend money on and which of those were priorities, this will be developed in the November Leadership Team meeting aiming to bring it to the following Church Council meeting
• The Neepe's Cavern project will have a separate management team from the church made up of people from various churches and others involved in youth work. The use of the room will be subject to a formal agreement between that team and the Church, advice is being sought from TMCP regarding this.
• The Church weekend away was discussed at length and will be developed by the Faith Development Group
• The Leadership Team recommend that the church website become part of the Circuit website for both financial and convenience reasons